In order to support your care, NHS healthcare professionals maintain records about you. We take great care to ensure your information is kept securely and used appropriately. Our staff are fully trained to understand their legal and professional obligations to protect your information.
What information do we hold about you?
- Your age, contact details and next of kin
- Details of your appointments, clinic visits, etc.
- Records about your health, illness treatment and care
- Results of investigations, like laboratory tests, x-rays, etc.
- Information from other health professionals
When is your information shared?
We will only pass on identifiable information about you with health professionals who are treating you to support the direct provision of your care. They will ask your permission to see your information when they see you. We will not disclose your identifiable information to anyone else without your permission unless in exceptional circumstances (i.e. life or death situations), or where the law requires it.
You have the choice to share or not to share
You can ask for all or some of your information not to be shared outside of the practice. If you decide not to share at all this will not affect your entitlement to care. However, it may result in the delivery of your care being less efficient as clinicians will not see your full medical history. If you have any concerns about how your information is shared or held, please contact the Business Manager.
Access to your health information
You have a right under the Data Protection Act 1998 to access or view information the practice holds about you, and to have it amended or removed should it be inaccurate. We will:
- Describe the information we hold about you
- Tell you why we are holding that information
- Tell you who it might be shared with
- At your request, provide a copy of the information in an intelligible form
If you would like to make a Subject Access Request, please put a request in writing to the Practice Manager.
For more information on how your information is shared, please follow this link